20 questions is a fun short interview with our artists, this week we get into the animal loving, rainbow melting mind of Steph
Steph joined the Union family earlier this year, she sometimes rolls her Rs giving away the fact she originally hails from the south island. She came to Wellington to chase her dream of becoming a tattoo artist and she has been building up a solid clientele who are fans of her off beat illustrative designs. so without further ado here is 20 questions with Steph.
1. How Long have you been tattooing?
I have been tattooing for just on three years.
2. How old were you when you got your first tattoo?
I was 18. But my mum still wanted to kill me.
3. Where did you get it?
4. What’s your favourite style to tattoo?
I don’t have a particular style I like to tattoo as such, but I have recently been loving doing more traditional inspired pieces.
5. Who are your favourite tattoo artists?
I have so many favourite tattoo artists! To name a few: Bobby aka monkeybob tattoo. Sera Helen. Paul Stillen. Sarah Martinez Schor. Ryan Jessiman. I’ll stop there.
6. Who are your favourite artists?
Salvador Dali. Meredith Marsone. Mark Maggiori. Tom of Finland. Sue Wickison.
7. What’s your favourite thing about working at Union?
Just Zoe… Just kidding! Also working with helpful, lovely, supportive, inspiring and hilarious people! The constant flow of friendly and trusting people wanting to get fun tattoos. Basically everything.
8. What’s the most common question you get asked everyday?
How did you get into tattooing? How old is your cat? Did you just fart?
9. Who do you look up to?
See answer to question 5. Also, my dad Leonard and his ridiculously hard working attitude.
10.How do you stay inspired?
Coffee. Always looking at art that inspires me. And not wanting to be poor.
11.What’s your favourite brunch spot in wellington?
It would have to be a toss up between the Botanist, prefab, and Loretta’s!
12. What are your favourite things to do on a day off?
Hang out with my partner Kalais and my cat lucifer. Eat lots of yummy food.
13. What’s you favourite movie?
It depends on my mood! Atm it’s probably either the shape of water, Carol or death proof.
14. Favourite book?
Amazing rare things by David Attenborough.
15. Favourite Album?
Ctrl by SZA
16. Pineapple on or off pizza?
On pizza. All pizza is beautiful
17. Are you a cat or dog person?
I love both equally except My cat is superior to all other beings in the universe.
18.Long black or flat white?
Long Black but w runny cream because I’m naughty.
19. Indian curry or thai curry?
20. What would your last meal be if you were on death row?
Mexican soup, followed by a Margherita pizza, followed by tempura prawns. A glass of chardonnay on the side